King William III
King William III
published by Alexander Browne, after Sir Peter Lely
mezzotint, circa 1680-84 (circa 1677)
13 1/4 in. x 9 7/8 in. (335 mm x 250 mm) plate size; 14 3/4 in. x 11 3/8 in. (375mm x 290 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries, 1984
Sitterback to top
- King William III (1650-1702), Reigned 1689-1702. Sitter associated with 142 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (Blue Balcony, Little Queen Street, London)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson (8 November 2003 - 12 April 2004)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1680back to top
Current affairsWilliam Howard, Viscount Stafford, is convicted of impeachment and beheaded on account of his alleged involvement in the Popish Plot.
Whigs' sponsorship of a pope-burning procession, for the second consecutive year, supports their campaign to exclude James, Duke of York from the throne.
Art and scienceWriter, John Bunyan, publishes, The Life and Death of Mr. Badman. Novelistic in form and conceived as a dialogue between two gentlemen, the book was intended as a sequel to the first part of The Pilgrim's Progress.
InternationalRevelations surface of a Catholic uprising in Ireland with French support. The government launches an inquiry, ultimately leading to the execution of Oliver Plunket, Archbishop of Armagh.
Secretary of State, Robert Spencer, in adopting an anti-French foreign policy, forges a defensive Anglo-Spanish treaty while seeking an alliance with the Dutch.
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Barbara Villiers
- Catherine Sedley
- 2018 Anniversaries
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Prints catalogue Browne - 3
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints