by William Daniell, after George Dance
soft-ground etching, (6 April 1793)
10 3/4 in. x 7 7/8 in. (273 mm x 201 mm) plate size; 15 3/8 in. x 11 in. (389 mm x 278 mm) paper size
Sitterback to top
- Richard Cosway (1742-1821), Miniature painter. Sitter in 16 portraits, Artist associated with 98 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Events of 1793back to top
Current affairsWhig MP Charles Grey enters a motion for parliamentary reform but is defeated in the House of Commons.
Art and scienceRadical philosopher William Godwin publishes Political Justice, an inflamatory document that promoted rational anarchism. This crystallised a wider feeling that a new era of world peace and progress was beginning.
Sir William Beechey is appointed Portrait Painter to her Majesty, Queen Charlotte.
InternationalLouis XVI and Marie-Antoinette are executed and the Reign of Terror begins.
France declares war on Britain, Holland and then Spain. William Pitt addresses the House of Commons and Britain hesitantly joins the first coalition of anti-revolutionary European states to oppose the French threat.
Attack on Corsica in which Captain Horatio Nelson loses an eye.
- Late Eighteenth Century Prints and Drawings
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Maria Cosway
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Ludwig Van Beethoven
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Thomas Jefferson
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Horatio Nelson
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection