by William Daniell, after George Dance
soft-ground etching, published 1 July 1809 (20 March 1794)
10 5/8 in. x 7 7/8 in. (270 mm x 201 mm) plate size; 18 7/8 in. x 12 5/8 in. (481 mm x 322 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1864
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (9 Cleveland Street, Fitzroy Square, London)
Events of 1809back to top
Current affairsDuke of Portland resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Spencer Perceval.
Motion for parliamentary reform is defeated in the House of Commons.
Notorious duel between George Canning and Viscount Castlereagh over strategic failures against Napoleon.
Art and scienceMaria Edgeworth publishes Tales of Fashionable Life, a popular and perceptive series of stories exploring Anglo-Irish society after the Union.
Robert Smirke completes the New Covent Garden Theatre after fire. 'Old Price' theatre riots quickly break out against rising cost of admission.
Pall Mall in London is lit by gas for the first time.
InternationalBritish army lands in Lisbon and defeats the French at Talavera. Arthur Wellesley is created Viscount Wellington as a result of this victory.
Walcheren expedition led by General Chatham, which aimed to take Antwerp, fails amidst allegations of military corruption and carnage.
James Madison is elected President of the United States.
- Late Eighteenth Century Prints and Drawings
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect - Joseph Haydn <> Nicolo Paganini
- Only Connect - Joseph Haydn <> Horatio Nelson
- Only Connect - Joseph Haydn <> Wolfgang Mozart
- Only Connect - Joseph Haydn <> William Hamilton
- Only Connect - Joseph Haydn <> Thomas Jefferson
- Only Connect - Joseph Haydn <> Emma Hamilton