4 of 4 portraits of John Gerard
by T. Berry, published by Thomas Rodd the Younger, published by Horatio Rodd, after John Payne
line engraving, (1633)
7 1/2 in. x 6 in. (192 mm x 151 mm) plate size; 11 1/4 in. x 8 1/8 in. (286 mm x 207 mm) paper size
Given by Henry Witte Martin, 1861
Artistsback to top
- T. Berry (active 1819-1822), Engraver. Artist associated with 16 portraits.
- John Payne (died 1648 or before), Printmaker. Artist associated with 69 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Horatio Rodd (active 1798-1858), Bookseller, picture dealer and printseller. Artist associated with 15 portraits.
- Thomas Rodd the Younger (1796-1849), Bookseller. Artist associated with 15 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (17, Little Newport Street, Leicester Square, London)
Events of 1633back to top
Current affairsWilliam Laud is appointed Archbishop of Canterbury. A supporter of the political and religious policies of Charles I, he worked for the uniformity of church doctrine and practice.
Formal coronation of Charles I in Scotland. It would be the king's first visit since he left the country aged three.
Art and sciencePublication of Histriomastix by pamphleteer, William Prynne, which denounces female actors, coincides with the queen's participation in a masque; Prynne is consequently tried for sedition.
Playwright, John Ford, publishes 'Tis Pity She's a Whore; its treatment of incest makes it one of the most controversial works in English literature.
InternationalSummoned by Pope VIII, Galileo Galilei arrives in Rome to stand trial for the Copernican views he expressed in Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems, 1632. Found guilty of heresy, he spends the remainder of his life under house arrest.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints