14 of 47 portraits of Margot Fonteyn
by Ida Kar
vintage bromide print, 1950s
11 1/2 in. x 9 1/2 in. (292 mm x 242 mm)
Artistback to top
- Ida Kar (1908-1974), Photographer. Artist associated with 1544 portraits, Sitter in 136 portraits.
Events of 1950back to top
Current affairsPrincess Anne is born at Clarence house, the only daughter of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip.
Art and scienceC.S. Lewis publishes The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia series. Lewis was an Oxford Don, specialising in Medieval Literature and its use of allegory. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is often seen as an allegory of the Christian struggle between good and evil.
InternationalFollowing the Soviet and American withdrawal from the occupation of North and South Korea respectively, the Korean War breaks out as each side seeks to unify Korea under its own political system. While the U.S.A., U.K and other UN nations came to the defence of South Korea, North Korea had support from the Soviet Union and China. The war continued until 1953.
- Paul Tanqueray: Young in the Twenties
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- Private View
- Benjamin's Britain
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Artists in Close-Up
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- Ida Kar: Bohemian Photographer, 1908-1974
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- Ida Kar in Cuba
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- Photographs 1965-2006
- Portrait of the Day: Dame Margot Fonteyn
26 August, 12:30