1 of 4 portraits by Leonard Schenk
by Leonard Schenk, after Unknown artist
line engraving, 1720 or after
10 3/4 in. x 7 in. (274 mm x 177 mm) plate size; 11 1/4 in. x 7 1/2 in. (285 mm x 189 mm) paper size
Given by Henry Witte Martin, 1861
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Events of 1720back to top
Current affairsCollapse of the South Sea Company's shares causes financial crisis in London and ruins many investors. Their rapid inflation and the speculation mania it had encouraged become known as the South Sea Bubble. Charles Townshend, 2nd Viscount Townshend returns to the Whig ministry. Robert Walpole 1st Earl of Orford, who had resigned in 1717, also returns and restores public credit in December.
Art and scienceEntrepreneur Ralph Allen is appointed to take over the Cross and Bye Posts, which manage mail not going via London, leading to his eventual reform of the entire British postal system.
History painter James Thornhill is appointed Serjeant Painter to the King and becomes the first British artist to receive a knighthood.
InternationalTreaty of the Hague signed between Britain, France, Austria, the Dutch Republic and Spain ending the War of the Quadruple Alliance.
In Lhasa, the Dalai Lama accepts Chinese imperial protection, which lasts until 1911.
Two political parties emerge in Sweden's parliament and become known as the Hats and the Caps.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 1517: Martin Luther and the English Reformation
Until 2 December
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Duplicate of Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Portrait of the Day: Richard III
21 October, 12:30
- Lunchtime Lecture: Shakespeare and the Resistance
1 November, 13:15
- Lunchtime Lecture: Society of Portrait Sculptors Annual Lecture: Laurence Edwards
15 November, 13:15