'The Prince in Clover'
10 of 37 portraits of Edward Thurlow, Baron Thurlow
'The Prince in Clover'
by James Gillray, published by Samuel William Fores
hand-coloured etching, published 2 June 1787
5 1/4 in. x 7 3/4 in. (133 mm x 196 mm) paper size
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), Statesman; orator; author. Sitter associated with 105 portraits.
- Charles James Fox (1749-1806), Whig statesman. Sitter associated with 306 portraits.
- King George IV (1762-1830), Regent 1811-19; Reigned 1820-30. Sitter associated with 206 portraits.
- Frederick North, 2nd Earl of Guilford (1732-1792), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 64 portraits.
- Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville (1742-1811), Statesman. Sitter associated with 82 portraits.
- William Pitt (1759-1806), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 173 portraits.
- Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond and Lennox (1735-1806), Field Marshal, ambassador to France and politician, Secretary of State for the Southern Department. Sitter in 28 portraits.
- George Rose (1744-1818), Statesman. Sitter associated with 14 portraits.
- Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1751-1816), Dramatist and parliamentary orator. Sitter associated with 167 portraits.
- Thomas Steele (1753-1823), Secretary to the Treasury. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Thomas Townshend, 1st Viscount Sydney (1733-1800), Statesman. Sitter in 14 portraits.
- Edward Thurlow, Baron Thurlow (1731-1806), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 37 portraits.
Events of 1787back to top
Current affairsSocial reformers Granville Sharp and Thomas Clarkson found the Society for Effecting the Abolition of the Slave Trade in London with support from John Wesley, Josiah Wedgwood and others.
George III shows first signs of mental instability in November.
Art and sciencePainter Robert Barker takes out a patent on the Panorama..
Astronomer William Herschel discovers the two moons of Uranus, Titania and Oberon.
The original Lord's Cricket Ground holds its first cricket match.
InternationalCaptain William Bligh sets sail for Tahiti on The Bounty.
First performance of composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Don Giovanni at the National Theatre, Prague.
A British ship lands a party of freed slaves as the first modern settlers in Sierra Leone.
Captain Arthur Phillip leaves Portsmouth with eleven ships full of convicts to establish a penal colony in Australia.
Bahamas become a British colony.
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Party Trail
- Duplicate of Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection