11 of 64 portraits of Edward Smith Stanley, 12th Earl of Derby
by James Gillray, published by Samuel William Fores
hand-coloured etching, published 2 May 1788
12 1/2 in. x 17 1/2 in. (319 mm x 446 mm) paper size
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Henry Bathurst, 2nd Earl Bathurst (1714-1794), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), Statesman; orator; author. Sitter associated with 106 portraits. Identify
- Frederick Howard, 5th Earl of Carlisle (1748-1825), Politician and diplomat. Sitter associated with 26 portraits. Identify
- Edward Smith Stanley, 12th Earl of Derby (1752-1834), Sportsman and patron of horse-racing. Sitter associated with 65 portraits. Identify
- Charles James Fox (1749-1806), Whig statesman. Sitter associated with 308 portraits. Identify
- King George III (1738-1820), Reigned 1760-1820. Sitter associated with 193 portraits. Identify
- Augustus Henry FitzRoy, 3rd Duke of Grafton (1735-1811), Prime Minister. Sitter in 27 portraits. Identify
- Warren Hastings (1732-1818), Governor-General of India. Sitter associated with 47 portraits. Identify
- William Petty, 1st Marquess of Lansdowne (1737-1805), Prime Minister and patron of the arts. Sitter associated with 68 portraits. Identify
- David Murray, 2nd Earl of Mansfield (1727-1796), Diplomat and statesman. Sitter in 19 portraits. Identify
- Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville (1742-1811), Statesman. Sitter associated with 82 portraits. Identify
- Charles Howard, 11th Duke of Norfolk (1746-1815), Politician; MP for Carlise and Arundel. Sitter associated with 55 portraits. Identify
- William Pitt (1759-1806), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 174 portraits. Identify
- William Henry Cavendish Bentinck, 3rd Duke of Portland (1738-1809), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 32 portraits. Identify
- George Rose (1744-1818), Statesman. Sitter associated with 14 portraits. Identify
- Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1751-1816), Dramatist and parliamentary orator. Sitter associated with 168 portraits. Identify
- Thomas Townshend, 1st Viscount Sydney (1733-1800), Statesman. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
- Edward Thurlow, Baron Thurlow (1731-1806), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 37 portraits. Identify
Events of 1788back to top
Current affairsParliament begins an investigation into the slave trade, led by reformers Thomas Clarkson and William Wilberforce.
Regency Crisis; George III's madness is announced provoking a political storm.
Former Governor-General of Bengal Warren Hastings' trial begins before the House of Lords.
Henry Benedict Stuart becomes the new Stuart claimant to the British throne.
Art and scienceArtist Thomas Gainsborough dies.
First edition of The Times newspaper is published in London.
Scottish engineer and inventor William Symington demonstrates the first paddle steamer on Dalswinton Loch near Dumfries.
Robert Burns writes his version of the Scots poem Auld Lang Syne.
InternationalMinisters of the French King, Louis XVI, reluctantly announce that the Estates General will meet the following year, for the first time since 1614.
United States constitution comes into force when New Hampshire becomes the ninth state to ratify it.
First Fleet reaches Australia, anchoring in Botany Bay. Arthur Phillip, selecting a suitable site for the first Australian penal colony, names the place Sydney Cove.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints