3 of 12 portraits of John Thelwall
by James Gillray, published by Hannah Humphrey
hand-coloured etching, published 16 November 1795
9 7/8 in. x 13 7/8 in. (251 mm x 352 mm) plate size; 10 1/8 in. x 14 1/8 in. (258 mm x 360 mm) paper size
Sittersback to top
- Charles James Fox (1749-1806), Whig statesman. Sitter associated with 305 portraits.
- Richard Hodgson (1760 or 1761-1816), Hatter; member of the London Corresponding Society. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- John Gale Jones (1769-1838), Radical political orator and agitator. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Joseph Priestley (1733-1804), Theologian and scientist. Sitter in 28 portraits.
- John Thelwall (1764-1834), Reformer and elocutionist. Sitter in 12 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1795back to top
Current affairsGeorge, Prince of Wales is forced to marry Caroline Amelia Elizabeth of Brunswick, despite having secretly married Maria Fitzherbert in 1785.
Widespread rioting prompts the introduction of the Speenhamland system of welfare supplements which are linked to the price of bread.
Treasonable Practices Act is passed against open criticism of government.
Art and scienceThe MP Matthew Gregory 'Monk' Lewis publishes his notorious gothic novel The Monk to success and scandal because of its immoral content.
Mungo Park explores the course of the River Niger.
InternationalWolfe Tone, founder of The Society of United Irishmen, departs for America after being implicated in high treason in Ireland. Exiled in Philadelphia, he soon leaves for France to ask revolutionaries for assistance.
Joseph Haydn composes the English Canzonettas during his second stay in London.
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer