'The loyal toast'
2 of 20 portraits of John Nicholls
'The loyal toast'
by James Gillray, published by Hannah Humphrey
hand-coloured etching, published 3 February 1798
14 1/2 in. x 10 5/8 in. (369 mm x 271 mm) paper size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Francis Russell, 5th Duke of Bedford (1765-1802), Whig politician and agriculturist. Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
- Charles James Fox (1749-1806), Whig statesman. Sitter associated with 305 portraits.
- John Nicholls (1745?-1832), Politician; MP for Bletchingley and Tregony. Sitter in 20 portraits.
- Charles Howard, 11th Duke of Norfolk (1746-1815), Politician; MP for Carlise and Arundel. Sitter associated with 55 portraits.
- Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1751-1816), Dramatist and parliamentary orator. Sitter associated with 167 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1798back to top
Current affairsTo meet war costs, William Pitt introduces a Finance Bill which levies income tax for the first time.
Art and scienceWilliam Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge publish Lyrical Ballads; a key publication for the romantic movement in poetry. Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner opens the volume.
Publisher and printseller Rudolph Ackermann establishes his popular 'Repository of the Arts' shop, gallery, library and social centre on the Strand.
InternationalUprising of the United Irishmen: a republican rebellion which attempted to achieve Ireland's total independence by force with the aid of a French invasion. It was only narrowly defeated.
Battle of the Nile. Napoleon's visionary Egyptian campaign offers British first major victory as Nelson destroys the French fleet.
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer