1 of 10 portraits of René Descartes
by Unknown artist
line engraving, 17th century
11 3/8 in. x 8 1/8 in. (288 mm x 206 mm) paper size
Given by Henry Witte Martin, 1861
Sitterback to top
- René Descartes (1596-1650), French philosopher and mathematician. Sitter in 10 portraits.
Events of 1601back to top
Current affairsRobert Devereux, Earl of Essex marches on the City but the rebellion fails. He is proclaimed a traitor and executed.
A Spanish fleet lands in Ireland to assist the Catholic rebellion. Lord Mountjoy leads the English army to victory over the Irish and Spanish force at the Battle of Kinsale.
Robert Cecil, Earl of Salisbury begins secret negotiations with James VI of Scotland to secure a peaceful handover of power after the Queen's death.
Art and scienceWilliam Shakespeare writes Twelfth Night.
The poet and clergyman John Donne begins The Progress of the Soul, an unfinished satire on the soul of the apple eaten by Eve.
The Speaker of the House of Commons Sir Edward Phelips builds Montacute House, Somerset.
Sir James Lancaster leads the first trading venture of the East India Company to acquire spices from Sumatra.
InternationalSpanish Hapsburg forces lay siege of the United Provinces port of Ostend. The town surrenders in 1604 after one of the longest sieges in history and bloodiest battles of the Eighty Years' War, during which the Protestant United Provinces of the northern Netherlands fought for independence from Spain.
Tokugawa Ieyasu, ruler of Japan, makes his capital at Yedo (present-day Tokyo).
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.