1 of 8 portraits of George Walpole
by James Gillray, published by Hannah Humphrey
hand-coloured etching, published 30 May 1798
10 1/4 in. x 14 1/4 in. (259 mm x 363 mm) plate size; 10 5/8 in. x 15 in. (270 mm x 380 mm) paper size
Sittersback to top
- Sir Francis Burdett, 5th Bt (1770-1844), Parliamentary reformer. Sitter associated with 119 portraits.
- Dudley Ryder, 1st Earl of Harrowby (1762-1847), Statesman. Sitter associated with 15 portraits.
- William Pitt (1759-1806), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 173 portraits.
- George Tierney (1761-1830), Politician; MP for Southwark and Knaresborough. Sitter associated with 50 portraits.
- George Walpole (1758-1835), Soldier. Sitter in 8 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1798back to top
Current affairsTo meet war costs, William Pitt introduces a Finance Bill which levies income tax for the first time.
Art and scienceWilliam Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge publish Lyrical Ballads; a key publication for the romantic movement in poetry. Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner opens the volume.
Publisher and printseller Rudolph Ackermann establishes his popular 'Repository of the Arts' shop, gallery, library and social centre on the Strand.
InternationalUprising of the United Irishmen: a republican rebellion which attempted to achieve Ireland's total independence by force with the aid of a French invasion. It was only narrowly defeated.
Battle of the Nile. Napoleon's visionary Egyptian campaign offers British first major victory as Nelson destroys the French fleet.
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer