'Meeting of the monied interest'
19 of 35 portraits of Michael Angelo Taylor
'Meeting of the monied interest'
by James Gillray, published by Hannah Humphrey
hand-coloured etching and aquatint, published 13 December 1798
10 3/8 in. x 14 5/8 in. (262 mm x 371 mm) plate size; 10 3/4 in. x 15 3/8 in. (273 mm x 389 mm) paper size
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Francis Russell, 5th Duke of Bedford (1765-1802), Whig politician and agriculturist. Sitter associated with 38 portraits. Identify
- Sir Francis Burdett, 5th Bt (1770-1844), Parliamentary reformer. Sitter associated with 135 portraits. Identify
- Edward Smith Stanley, 12th Earl of Derby (1752-1834), Sportsman and patron of horse-racing. Sitter associated with 65 portraits. Identify
- Thomas Erskine, 1st Baron Erskine (1750-1823), Lord Chancellor. Sitter associated with 69 portraits. Identify
- Charles James Fox (1749-1806), Whig statesman. Sitter associated with 308 portraits. Identify
- Francis Rawdon-Hastings, 1st Marquess of Hastings (1754-1826), Army officer and Politician, Governor-General of India. Sitter in 46 portraits. Identify
- John Nicholls (1745?-1832), Politician; MP for Bletchingley and Tregony. Sitter in 20 portraits. Identify
- Charles Howard, 11th Duke of Norfolk (1746-1815), Politician; MP for Carlise and Arundel. Sitter associated with 55 portraits. Identify
- Sir William Pulteney (né Johnstone), 5th Bt (1729-1808), Scottish lawyer and politician. Sitter associated with 3 portraits. Identify
- Sir George Augustus William Shuckburgh-Evelyn, 6th Bt (1751-1804), Politician; MP for Warwickshire. Sitter associated with 9 portraits. Identify
- Sir John Sinclair, 1st Bt (1754-1835), Agricultural improver and politician. Sitter associated with 10 portraits. Identify
- Charles Stanhope, 3rd Earl Stanhope (1753-1816), Scientist and politician; MP for Wycombe. Sitter associated with 46 portraits. Identify
- Michael Angelo Taylor (circa 1757-1834), Barrister and politician; MP for Poole, Ilchester and City of Durham. Sitter associated with 35 portraits. Identify
- George Tierney (1761-1830), Politician; MP for Southwark and Knaresborough. Sitter associated with 51 portraits. Identify
- John Horne Tooke (1736-1812), Radical politician; MP and philologist. Sitter associated with 49 portraits. Identify
- George Walpole (1758-1835), Soldier. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1798back to top
Current affairsTo meet war costs, William Pitt introduces a Finance Bill which levies income tax for the first time.
Art and scienceWilliam Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge publish Lyrical Ballads; a key publication for the romantic movement in poetry. Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner opens the volume.
Publisher and printseller Rudolph Ackermann establishes his popular 'Repository of the Arts' shop, gallery, library and social centre on the Strand.
InternationalUprising of the United Irishmen: a republican rebellion which attempted to achieve Ireland's total independence by force with the aid of a French invasion. It was only narrowly defeated.
Battle of the Nile. Napoleon's visionary Egyptian campaign offers British first major victory as Nelson destroys the French fleet.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints