'A tub for the whale'
'A tub for the whale'
by James Gillray, published by Hannah Humphrey
hand-coloured etching, published 14 March 1806
9 5/8 in. x 13 7/8 in. (246 mm x 353 mm) plate size; 10 1/2 in. x 14 7/8 in. (267 mm x 377 mm) paper size
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Edward Law, 1st Baron Ellenborough (1750-1818), Lord Chief Justice. Sitter in 20 portraits.
- Thomas Erskine, 1st Baron Erskine (1750-1823), Lord Chancellor. Sitter associated with 69 portraits.
- Charles James Fox (1749-1806), Whig statesman. Sitter associated with 306 portraits.
- King George IV (1762-1830), Regent 1811-19; Reigned 1820-30. Sitter associated with 236 portraits.
- William Wyndham Grenville, 1st Baron Grenville (1759-1834), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 70 portraits.
- Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey (1764-1845), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 179 portraits.
- Henry Petty-Fitzmaurice, 3rd Marquess of Lansdowne (1780-1863), Whig politician; Home Secretary, Chancellor of the Exchequer and Lord President of the Council. Sitter associated with 77 portraits.
- Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1751-1816), Dramatist and parliamentary orator. Sitter associated with 167 portraits.
- George John Spencer, 2nd Earl Spencer (1758-1834), First Lord of the Admiralty. Sitter associated with 31 portraits.
- Hon. William Windham (1750-1810), Politician; Secretary at War. Sitter associated with 52 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1806back to top
Current affairsWilliam Pitt dies in January and his lifelong opponent Charles James Fox dies in September. Pitt is succeeded by William Wyndham, Baron Grenville, who forms the 'Ministry of all the Talents' coalition .
Prince of Wales instigates the 'Delicate Investigation'; a Parliamentary enquiry into claims that his wife Caroline had an illegitimate child.
Art and scienceJohn Constable embarks on a formative tour of the Lakes and makes landscape studies of the Langdale Pikes and Helvellyn.
Turner exhibits his Thames views to acclaim at his own London gallery.
Humphrey Davy discovers the elements potassium and sodium by passing an electrical current through molten compounds.
InternationalSoprano Angelica Catalani arrives from Italy to make her London debut, amazing audiences with her showpiece arias.
Napoleon turns his forces east against Austria, Russia and Prussia and enjoys a wave of French victories.
British attack on Buenos Aires under General William Beresford fails.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Everyday Icons: Collecting Popular Portraits
From 7 September
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Party Trail
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Artist Establishment
- Duplicate of Artist Establishment