'Visiting the sick'
'Visiting the sick'
by James Gillray, published by Hannah Humphrey
hand-coloured etching and aquatint, published 28 July 1806
10 3/8 in. x 14 1/4 in. (263 mm x 363 mm) plate size; 11 1/4 in. x 15 1/4 in. (285 mm x 387 mm) paper size
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Richard Temple-Nugent-Brydges-Chandos-Grenville, 1st Duke of Buckingham and Chandos (1776-1839), Statesman and print collector. Sitter associated with 40 portraits. Identify
- George Nugent-Temple-Grenville, 1st Marquess of Buckingham (1753-1813), Politician; MP for Buckinghamshire and Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs. Sitter in 34 portraits. Identify
- Edward Smith Stanley, 12th Earl of Derby (1752-1834), Sportsman and patron of horse-racing. Sitter associated with 65 portraits. Identify
- Maria Anne Fitzherbert (née Smythe) (1756-1837), Famous beauty; morganatic wife of George IV. Sitter in 25 portraits. Identify
- Charles James Fox (1749-1806), Whig statesman. Sitter associated with 308 portraits. Identify
- Elizabeth Bridget Fox (née Cane) (1750-1842), Courtesan; wife of Charles James Fox. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
- King George IV (1762-1830), Regent 1811-19; Reigned 1820-30. Sitter associated with 272 portraits. Identify
- William Wyndham Grenville, 1st Baron Grenville (1759-1834), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 70 portraits. Identify
- Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey (1764-1845), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 189 portraits. Identify
- Francis Rawdon-Hastings, 1st Marquess of Hastings (1754-1826), Army officer and Politician, Governor-General of India. Sitter in 46 portraits. Identify
- Henry Petty-Fitzmaurice, 3rd Marquess of Lansdowne (1780-1863), Whig politician; Home Secretary, Chancellor of the Exchequer and Lord President of the Council. Sitter associated with 77 portraits. Identify
- Thomas Lewis O'Beirne (1748-1823), Bishop of Meath. Sitter associated with 1 portrait. Identify
- Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1751-1816), Dramatist and parliamentary orator. Sitter associated with 168 portraits. Identify
- Henry Addington, 1st Viscount Sidmouth (1757-1844), Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 78 portraits. Identify
- Hon. William Windham (1750-1810), Politician; Secretary at War. Sitter associated with 52 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1806back to top
Current affairsWilliam Pitt dies in January and his lifelong opponent Charles James Fox dies in September. Pitt is succeeded by William Wyndham, Baron Grenville, who forms the 'Ministry of all the Talents' coalition .
Prince of Wales instigates the 'Delicate Investigation'; a Parliamentary enquiry into claims that his wife Caroline had an illegitimate child.
Art and scienceJohn Constable embarks on a formative tour of the Lakes and makes landscape studies of the Langdale Pikes and Helvellyn.
Turner exhibits his Thames views to acclaim at his own London gallery.
Humphrey Davy discovers the elements potassium and sodium by passing an electrical current through molten compounds.
InternationalSoprano Angelica Catalani arrives from Italy to make her London debut, amazing audiences with her showpiece arias.
Napoleon turns his forces east against Austria, Russia and Prussia and enjoys a wave of French victories.
British attack on Buenos Aires under General William Beresford fails.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Everyday Icons: Collecting Popular Portraits
Until 1 March