'The offering to liberty'
3 of 7 portraits of Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette
© National Portrait Gallery, London
'The offering to liberty'
by James Gillray, published by James Aitken
hand-coloured etching, published 3 August 1789
9 1/2 in. x 23 7/8 in. (240 mm x 605 mm) paper size
Sittersback to top
- Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette (1757-1834), French general and statesman. Sitter associated with 7 portraits. Identify
- Louis XVI, King of France (1754-1793), King of France 1774-1792. Sitter in 17 portraits. Identify
- Louis Philippe Joseph ('Philippe Egalité'), duc d'Orleans (1747-1793), Supporter of the French Revolution; father of Louis Philippe I of France. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Marie Antoinette of France (1755-1793), Queen of Louis XVI of France. Sitter in 12 portraits. Identify
- Jacques Necker (1732-1804), French financier and statesman. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
Artistsback to top
Events of 1789back to top
Current affairsGeorge III recovers from the previous year's illness. The 'Regency Crisis' and attendant political wrangling between the Tory Prime Minister William Pitt and the pro-Whig Prince of Wales end. Dismissed as a 'bilious attack', George's sickness was in fact the first sign of the mental health problems which led to the Prince of Wales's appointment as Regent in 1811.
Art and scienceJohn Boydell's ambitious new Shakespeare Gallery opens in Pall Mall, displaying works by Britain's leading artists and attempting to combine urban entertainment with the promotion of British history painting.
Philosopher Jeremy Bentham publishes An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation, outlining his 'greatest happiness principle'.
InternationalGeorge Washington is elected first President of the United States.
The French Revolution begins. The storming of the Bastille on the 14 July marks the overthrow of the absolute monarchy in France. The uprising followed the establishment of a governing National Assembly of the people's representatives.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.