by David Wedgbury
resin print, 1966
10 5/8 in. x 10 1/2 in. (270 mm x 267 mm)
Given by David Wedgbury, 1994
Sitterback to top
- David Bowie (1947-2016), Singer, songwriter, performer and actor. Sitter in 18 portraits.
Artistback to top
- David Wedgbury (1937-1998), Photographer. Artist of 36 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- , p. 134
- National Portrait Gallery: 100 Portraits, p. 125
- Whitaker, Robert, Beatles to Bowie: the 60s exposed, 2009 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 15 October 2009 - 24 January 2010), p. 134
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Beatles to Bowie: the 60s exposed (15 October 2009 - 24 January 2010)
Events of 1966back to top
Current affairsThe English football team wins against West Germany at the World Cup Final in Wembley.
144 people, including 116 children, die in the Aberfan disaster when a colliery waste tip slides down a mountain in Wales.
Ian Brady and Myra Hindly are sentence to life imprisonment for the brutal Moors Murders.
Art and scienceTom Stoppard's first play Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead premiers. This absurdist play uses two minor characters from Hamlet to explore the existential themes of free will verses determinism and the futility of language.
Seamus Heany publishes his first volume of poems, Death of a Naturalist.
InternationalThe Cultural Revolution is launched in China in order to bring Chinese culture and society in line with communist ideals. It was also, however, an attempt by Mao Zedong to regain control of the country after the mistakes of the Great Leap Forward.
Archbishop of Canterbury, Arthur Michael Ramsey meets Pope Paul VI, the first official meeting between the Roman Catholic and Anglican Churches for 400 years.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Picturing Friendship
Until 13 May 2019