Sir Peter Lely
Sir Peter Lely
by Isaac Beckett, published by John Smith, after Sir Peter Lely
13 3/8 in. x 9 7/8 in. (340 mm x 250 mm) plate size; 16 1/8 in. x 12 3/4 in. (408 mm x 324 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Sitterback to top
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Sitter in 19 portraits, Artist associated with 843 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (Lion and Crown, Russell Street, Covent Garden, London)
Events of 1684back to top
Current affairsJames, Duke of York's influence grows within Charles II's government; the Admiralty commission is abolished, allowing James to resume his role as lord admiral, in all but name. A new generation of Tories, supporters of James are bestowed with influential roles, including Sir George Jeffreys, recently appointed Lord Chief Justice.
Art and scienceItalian decorative artist, Antonio Verrio, is appointed 'principal Gardiner and Surveyor' to the King.
Author, John Bunyan, publishes the second part of his Pilgrim's Progress.
InternationalLuxembourg surrenders to French forces. Renewed fighting between the French Bourbons and the Spanish Habsburgs had broken out the year before when French troops laid seize to Luxembourg and entered the Spanish Netherlands. Charles II rejects Spanish demands for assistance, determined to remain detached from the conflict.
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Barbara Villiers
- Catherine Sedley
- 2018 Anniversaries
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints