by and published by Richard Dighton, reissued by Thomas McLean
etching, published July 1818
11 3/8 in. x 8 1/4 in. (288 mm x 208 mm) paper size
Given by Henry Witte Martin, 1861
Sitterback to top
- Robert Waithman (1764-1833), Politician and Lord Mayor of London. Sitter in 14 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
- NPG D4580: Robert Waithman (from same plate)
- NPG D4581: Robert Waithman (from same plate)
- NPG D13501: Robert Waithman (from same plate)
- NPG D13502: Robert Waithman (from same plate)
- NPG D13641: Robert Waithman (reduced version)
- NPG D13398: Robert Waithman (from same plate)
- NPG D18943: Robert Waithman (from same plate)
Events of 1818back to top
Current affairsDeath of Charlotte Sophia of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, George III's Queen since 1761.
Official enquiry initiated into Queen Caroline's conduct abroad.
Art and scienceMary Shelley anonymously publishes her masterpiece Frankenstein; or, the Modern Prometheus which reflects growing concern about the role of morality in science.
Lord Byron completes his romance Childe Harolde's Pilgrimage, whose gloomy, dissolute hero was probably based on the writer himself.
InternationalStamford Raffles acquires authorisation to construct a fort at Singapore marking the beginning of its development as a centre of East-West trade.
Congress of European Alliance at Aix-La-Chapelle. Lord Castlereagh plays a central role in establishing a pan-Europe peace settlement to bring a chastened France back into the world of political respectability.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints