by Anderson & Low
bromide fibre print, 16 October 2001
14 1/2 in. x 17 7/8 in. (367 mm x 455 mm)
Sittersback to top
- Caroline Gilbert, Gymnast. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Katy Lennon (1984-), Gymnast; Olympian. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Holly Murdock (1983-), Gymnast. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Jenna Sanders (1984-), Gymnast. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Elizabeth Tweddle (1985-), Gymnast; Olympian. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- Melissa Wilcox (1984-), Gymnast. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Emma Williams (1983-), Gymnast; Olympian. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Nicola Willis (1985-), Gymnast; Olympian. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
This portraitback to top
Group includes members of the British team which won the Silver Medal at the 2002 Commonwealth Games held in Manchester. Left to right; Elizabeth Tweddle; Nicola Willis; Emma William; Kathy Lennon; Jenna Saunders; Melissa Wilcox; Caroline Gilbert; Holly Murdock. Photographed whilst training at Lilleshall National Sports Centre, Newport.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: Wales, Newport (Lilleshall National Sports Centre, Newport)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The Contenders: Sporting Portraits by Anderson & Low (25 February 2002 - 7 July 2002)
Events of 2001back to top
Current affairsLabour wins a second landslide general election victory campaigning on improvements to public services based on private finance projects. The Conservative party proved itself to be out-of-touch by ignoring public services and campaigning on the issue of Britain's membership of the EU. The day after the election William Hague resigned as leader of the Conservative Party.
Art and scienceThe Eden Project opens in Cornwall. The eco-centre, conceived by Tim Smit, replicates tropical and temporal climates and houses plants from all over the world in two domed biomes. The project is both a large-scale scientific experiment to study the environmental changes in different biomes over time, and a visitor attraction teaching the public about the natural environment.
InternationalOn 11th September (9/11) America comes under foreign attack for the first time since Pearl Harbour when Islamic Fundamentalist terrorists hijack four planes, flying two into the Twin Towers of the World Trade Centre, and one into the Pentagon; the forth plane crashed in a field.
George Bush launches his 'War on Terror' by invading Afghanistan to overthrown the Taliban and capture Osama bin Laden, leader of al-Qaeda.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.