by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate glass negative, 19 October 1922
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Sitterback to top
- Carlyon Bellairs (1871-1955), Naval commander and politician. Sitter in 4 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 38 Dover Street, London)
Events of 1922back to top
Current affairsThe British Broadcasting Company (later British Broadcasting Corporation) is established to experiment with radio broadcasting. It is the largest broadcasting corporation in the world, providing radio, television and Internet services to the public in Britain and across the world.
Art and science1922 is a key year for modernist literature with the publication of James Joyce's novel, Ulysses and T.S. Eliot's poem, The Waste Land. Both broke new ground with Ulysses (loosely based on Homer's Odyssey) introducing the 'stream of consciousness' narrative technique, and The Waste Land experimenting with multiple voices and a patchwork of literary, historic, mythological and personal allusions.
InternationalThe Soviet Union is formed under Joseph Stalin who takes power after Lenin suffers a debilitating stroke.
In an attempt to avoid civil war, King Victor Emmanuel III of Italy invites Benito Mussolini to form a new government following the Fascist Party's March on Rome.
- Athletes and Olympians
- Margery Allingham
- Born in 1856
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Centenary of flight
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection