30 of 30 portraits of Pauline Boty
by Michael Ward
C-type colour print, 13 January 1964
13 in. x 8 5/8 in. (330 mm x 220 mm)
acquired Michael Ward, 2003
Sitterback to top
- Pauline Boty (1938-1966), Artist and actress. Sitter in 30 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Michael Ward (1929-2011), Photographer. Artist of 63 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Scandal '63: The Fiftieth Anniversary of the Profumo Affair (30 April 2013 - 15 September 2013)
- Mostly Women (6 June 2006 - 30 October 2006)
- British Blondes (3 March 2003 - 6 July 2003)
Events of 1964back to top
Current affairsHarold Wilson narrowly wins the general election for the Labour Party, the first of his four election victories.
Peter Allen and Gwynne Evans become the last people to be executed in the United Kingdom before capital punishment was abolished in 1965.
The Sun newspaper replaces the Daily Herald.
Art and scienceTop of the Pops begins its rein as the longest running television music show. The first broadcast was presented by Jimmy Savile and included the Rolling Stones, Dusty Springfield, The Hollies and The Beatles, who were the show's first number 1 with I Want to Hold Your Hand.
InternationalThe Civil Rights Act is passed in the USA, outlawing discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex or national origin. The Act abolished the 'Jim Crow Laws' in the Southern States, making forced segregation illegal.
After spending two years in prison Nelson Mandela is sentenced to Life in Prison for the crimes of sabotage and crimes equivalent to treason against the Republic of South Africa.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
- Women's History Month
- Michael Ward - NPG x76685
- Private View
- Contemporary Women Artists
- The Making of a Pioneer: Podcasts
- Michael Ward - NPG x15012
- Michael Ward - NPG x88957
- Michael Ward - NPG x76660
- Michael Ward - NPG x 46680
- Michael Ward - NPG x46558
- Michael Ward - NPG x88843
- Michael Ward - NPG x88956
- Michael Ward - NPG x88842
- Michael Ward - NPG x76661
- Michael Ward - NPG x46674
- Michael Ward - NPG x88647
- The Beatles on the Balcony
- Sixties Style: Photographs by Ward, Wharton and Seymour
- Sixties Style: Ward, Wharton and Seymour
- Michael Ward - Biography
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints