Philip Alexius de László
3 of 6 portraits of Philip Alexius de László
Philip Alexius de László
by Walter Benington
vintage chlorobromide print, 1928
8 in. x 5 3/4 in. (203 mm x 146 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Philip Alexius de László (1869-1937), Portrait painter. Sitter in 7 portraits, Artist associated with 21 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Benington's portrait shows de László standing beside his large canvasses of Victor, 9th Duke of Devonshire and Princess Theodora of Greece.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits (9 December 2006 - 17 June 2007)
Events of 1928back to top
Current affairsThe Representation of the People Act 1928 grants women the same rights to vote as men. Building on reform of 1918, this Act lowered the voting age for women from 30 to 21, and removed the ownership of property requirements.
Art and scienceAlexander Fleming discovers penicillin. The Scottish scientist's identification of the first antibiotic revolutionised the treatment of infection and is a landmark in medical history. By the Second World War, penicillin was being used to treat wounded soldiers and had a major impact on survival rates of those with infected wounds.
InternationalStalin announces the Soviet Union's first Five-Year plan of economic development. Based on Lenin's New Economic Policy, the Five-Year Plans aimed to expand the country's economy through rapid centralised industrialisation.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
- Correspondence and Papers of Philip de László
- Learn more about Philip de László
- Guide to the correspondence and papers of Philip de László
- Online index and preliminary list
- Other archive material relating to Philip de László in the National Portrait Gallery
- Other sources of information about Philip de László
- Selected letters of Philip de László
- Artist - Laszlo
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.