by Francesco Bartolozzi, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
stipple engraving, published 1 April 1784 (1781)
10 in. x 7 in. (254 mm x 178 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Sitterback to top
- Charles Burney (1726-1814), Musician and historian of music. Sitter in 10 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Related worksback to top
Events of 1784back to top
Current affairsTheatre proprietor and postal reformer John Palmer runs the first mail coach in England, between Bristol and London. A three day journey is now completed in 16 hours.
Commutation Act reduces punitive duties on tea to combat smuggling.
Art and scienceAeronaut James Sadler makes the first hot air balloon flight in Britain, from Oxford to Woodeaton.
Chemist Henry Cavendish's paper Experiments on Air reveals the composition of water.
Writer Samuel Johnson dies.
Joshua Reynolds succeeds Allan Ramsay as Painter to the King.
InternationalThomas Jefferson's Land Ordinance passed by the United States' Continental Congress, coming into effect the following year. It allows for the sale of land in the largely unmapped west of the country.
Britain receives its first bales of cotton from the United States since before the War of American Independence.
William Pitt's India Act creates a Board of Control to oversee the affairs of the British East India Company and centralise power.
- Late Eighteenth Century Prints and Drawings
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- 2018 Anniversaries
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - Charles Burney <> Fanny Burney
- Only Connect - Charles Burney <> Sir William Hamilton
- Only Connect - Charles Burney <> Wolfgang Mozart
- Only Connect - installation video
- Self-Portrait: Renaissance to Contemporary
- Brilliant Women
- 2017 Anniversaries
- Dr Samuel Johnson
- 2020 Anniversaries
- Weekend Workshop: Gainsborough vs. Reynolds
Until 23 February