1 portrait of Angus McBean
© Roger George Clark / National Portrait Gallery, London
by Roger George Clark
bromide print, 16 May 1979
11 1/2 in. x 8 7/8 in. (291 mm x 225 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Angus McBean (1904-1990), Photographer. Sitter in 79 portraits, Artist associated with 268 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Roger George Clark (1943-), Broadcaster; photographer and journalist. Artist of 42 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Suffolk (sitter's home, 'The Flemings', Suffolk)
Events of 1979back to top
Current affairsMargaret Thatcher becomes the first woman Prime Minster. She came to power with the electoral slogan, 'Labour isn't working', and set about her aim to reverse Britain's economic decline by reducing the role of the state in the economy and championing entrepreneurship and the free market.
Art and scienceMonty Python's Life Of Brian, is released causing controversy, but gaining box-office success and classic status. The film is in many ways a classic farce, with much of its humour deriving from the mistaken identity of the protagonist, Brian Cohen. But, as his mother tells us: 'He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.'
InternationalMother Teresa is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize 'for work undertaken in the struggle to overcome poverty and distress, which also constitute a threat to peace.' Mother Theresa established the Missionaries of Charity in Calcutta, India; an organisation that pledged to give 'Wholehearted and Free service to the poorest of the poor.'
Soviet troops invade Afghanistan and begin a 10-year occupation, resisted by Mujaheddin Afghan guerrilla fighters.
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Surreal and Solarised Photographs
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Portraits of Alec Guinness
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- The World's Most Photographed
- Faces of Wales
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- The Berto Pasuka Lecture 2019: Portrait of a Black Gay Man by David McAlmont
15 February 2019, 19:00