1 portrait of Alice Liddell
© National Portrait Gallery, London and the National Media Museum (part of the Science Museum Group, London)
by Lewis Carroll
albumen carte-de-visite, 25 June 1870
3 1/2 in. x 2 1/4 in. (91 mm x 58 mm)
Purchased jointly with the National Science and Media Museum, Bradford, with help from the Art Fund and the National Heritage Memorial Fund, 2002
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Alice Pleasance Liddell (1852-1934), Inspiration for 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'; daughter of Henry George Liddell. Sitter in 14 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Lewis Carroll (Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) (1832-1898), Photographer and author of 'Alice in Wonderland'. Artist associated with 60 portraits, Sitter in 9 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Schama, Simon, The Face of Britain: The Nation Through its Portraits, 2015-09-15, p. 213
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Face of Britain: Love (14 September 2015 - 4 January 2016)
Events of 1870back to top
Current affairsWilliam Edward Forster's Education Act is passed, making provisions for education for all under-13s. It demonstrated the balance in Gladstone's first ministry between progressive reform and conservativism by spreading literacy, whilst maintaining the status of Church schools.
The Married Women's Property Act gives wives rights over their own earnings.
Art and scienceThe Russian composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's fantasy-overture Romeo and Juliet, based on Shakespeare's play and written with the aid of composer Mily Balakirev, debuts in Moscow, conducted by Nikolai Rubenstein.
W. G. Grace becomes cricket captain of Gloucestershire, marking the start of a successful decade for the club in which they won three 'Champion County' titles.
InternationalIsaac Butt, an Irish MP at Westminster, forms the Home Rule Association.
The Franco-Prussian war breaks out between France and a coalition of German states led by Prussia. Provoked by the candidacy of German Prince Leopold Hohenzollen-Sigmaringen for the Spanish throne, France declared war in July after Bismark published the deliberately provocative Ems telegraph, in which the French were represented in an offensive light on the issue.
Exhibitions and displays
- Victorian Giants: The Birth of Art Photography
From 1 March 2018
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer