Grand Entrance to Bamboozl'em
8 of 8 portraits of William Austin
Grand Entrance to Bamboozl'em
attributed to Theodore Lane, published by George Humphrey
etching, published February 1821
11 3/4 in. x 18 7/8 in. (299 mm x 479 mm) paper size
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- William Austin (1802-1857), Adopted son of Queen Caroline. Sitter associated with 8 portraits. Identify
- John Cam Hobhouse, Baron Broughton de Gyfford (1786-1869), Statesman and friend of Byron. Sitter in 31 portraits. Identify
- Sir Francis Burdett, 5th Bt (1770-1844), Parliamentary reformer. Sitter associated with 135 portraits. Identify
- Caroline Amelia Elizabeth of Brunswick (1768-1821), Queen of George IV. Sitter in 101 portraits. Identify
- William Cobbett (1763-1835), Journalist, agriculturalist and politician; MP for Oldham. Sitter associated with 57 portraits. Identify
- Keppel Richard Craven (1779-1851), Traveller. Sitter associated with 7 portraits. Identify
- John Turner Flinn (Flynn) (circa 1791-1865), Seaman. Sitter associated with 4 portraits.
- Lady Anne Hamilton (1766-1846), Lady-in-waiting to Queen Caroline. Sitter associated with 9 portraits. Identify
- Joseph Harrison (1780-active 1819-1820), Radical preacher. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Joseph Robert Hownam (active 1803-died 1859), Naval commander and Chamberlain to Queen Caroline. Sitter associated with 5 portraits. Identify
- Henry Hunt (1773-1835), Radical politician and demagogue; MP for Preston. Sitter associated with 21 portraits. Identify
- Angelica (née Pergami), Contessa Oldi (active 1815-1821), Lady of the bedchamber to Queen Caroline. Sitter associated with 4 portraits. Identify
- Samuel Ferrand Waddington (1759-1829), Merchant and political activist. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Sir Robert Thomas Wilson (1777-1849), General and politician. Sitter in 15 portraits. Identify
- Sir Charles Wolseley, 7th Bt (1769-1846), Reformist politician. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- John Wood (1796-1866), Chaplain to Queen Caroline. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Sir Matthew Wood, 1st Bt (1768-1843), Lord Mayor of London. Sitter associated with 41 portraits. Identify
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1821back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV is crowned at Westminster Abbey on 19 July and Queen Caroline is turned away from the ceremony. Two weeks later she dies reawakening popular sympathy for her cause. Riots break out at her funeral as the Government attempts to reroute the procession to avoid the popular reaction of the mob.
Art and scienceThomas De Quincey publishes Confessions of an English Opium Eater in the London Magazine. A creative commentary on his mental life, it gained instant notoriety.
The Manchester Guardian (later The Guardian) established.
Michael Faraday builds the first electric motor.
Revolts in Wallachia and Moldovia against the oppressive rule of the Ottoman Turks. The rebels appeal to Tsar Alexander I for help and the Greek War of Independence begins.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints