8 of 8 portraits of Lady Anne Hamilton
attributed to Theodore Lane, published by George Humphrey
etching, published 30 April 1821
17 in. x 11 5/8 in. (405 mm x 294 mm) plate size; 18 7/8 in. x 11 3/4 in. (480 mm x 299 mm) paper size
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Caroline Amelia Elizabeth of Brunswick (1768-1821), Queen of George IV. Sitter in 101 portraits. Identify
- John Turner Flinn (Flynn) (circa 1791-1865), Seaman. Sitter associated with 4 portraits. Identify
- Lady Anne Hamilton (1766-1846), Lady-in-waiting to Queen Caroline. Sitter associated with 9 portraits. Identify
- Joseph Robert Hownam (active 1803-died 1859), Naval commander and Chamberlain to Queen Caroline. Sitter associated with 5 portraits. Identify
- Joseph Hume (1777-1855), Doctor and politician; MP for Aberdeen Burghs, Middlesex and Montrose Burghs. Sitter associated with 75 portraits. Identify
- Samuel Parr (1747-1825), Pedagogue and Whig pamphleteer. Sitter in 18 portraits. Identify
- Sir Matthew Wood, 1st Bt (1768-1843), Lord Mayor of London. Sitter associated with 41 portraits. Identify
Events of 1821back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV is crowned at Westminster Abbey on 19 July and Queen Caroline is turned away from the ceremony. Two weeks later she dies reawakening popular sympathy for her cause. Riots break out at her funeral as the Government attempts to reroute the procession to avoid the popular reaction of the mob.
Art and scienceThomas De Quincey publishes Confessions of an English Opium Eater in the London Magazine. A creative commentary on his mental life, it gained instant notoriety.
The Manchester Guardian (later The Guardian) established.
Michael Faraday builds the first electric motor.
Revolts in Wallachia and Moldovia against the oppressive rule of the Ottoman Turks. The rebels appeal to Tsar Alexander I for help and the Greek War of Independence begins.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.