2 of 14 portraits by Edward Evans
by Samuel William Reynolds, published by Edward Evans, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
10 in. x 7 3/8 in. (254 mm x 188 mm) plate size; 10 5/8 in. x 8 in. (269 mm x 202 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Sitterback to top
- Felice Giardini (1716-1796), Italian violinist and composer. Sitter in 3 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Edward Evans (1789-1835), Printseller. Artist associated with 14 portraits.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1415 portraits, Sitter associated with 39 portraits.
- Samuel William Reynolds (1773-1835), Mezzotint engraver and painter. Artist associated with 629 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (1 Great Queen Street, Lincoln's Inn Fields, London)
Events of 1760back to top
Current affairsDeath of George II on 25 October at the age of 76. George III succeeds to the throne at the age of 22.
Art and scienceGerman artist Johan Zoffany arrives in England, where he is instrumental in reviving the 'conversation piece' genre of painting.
First public exhibition of paintings in England is held at the Society of Arts' Great Room in the Strand, London.
The Public Ledger is founded; the oldest British periodical with continuous daily publication.
InternationalSeven Years' War: At the Battle of Carrickfergus in Ireland, a force of French troops captures the town of Carrickfergus before retiring.
Surrender of Montreal to the British under General Jeffrey Amherst signals the virtual loss of Canada by the French. British troops oust the Nawab of Bengal Mir Jafar and replace him with Mir Quasim.
Former Chief Tacky leads an unsuccessful slave rebellion in Jamaica, which aims to overthrow British rule.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.