by Jean Condé, published by James Asperne, after George Romney
stipple engraving, published 1 June 1803 (circa 1782-1786)
7 1/8 in. x 4 5/8 in. (180 mm x 116 mm) plate size; 8 1/4 in. x 5 7/8 in. (208 mm x 149 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Emma (née Lyon), Lady Hamilton (Baptised 1765-1815), Mistress of Lord Nelson. Sitter in 30 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- James Asperne (1757-1820), Bookseller and proprietor of the 'European Magazine'. Artist associated with 42 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Jean Condé (1765-1794), Printmaker. Artist associated with 23 portraits.
- George Romney (1734-1802), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 160 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Events of 1803back to top
Current affairsThe Vice Society is formally established by John Reeves and his associates to campaign against blasphemy and immorality, particularly that perpetrated by Thomas Paine and the Edinburgh Review.
Art and scienceErasmus Darwin's Temple of Nature published posthumously. A scientific treaty in the form of an elaborate couplet poem, its content anticipated some of the evolutionary ideas developed by his grandson, Charles Darwin, fifty years later.
Construction of the Caledonian Canal begins.
InternationalWar with France resumes, sparking new fears of a cross-channel invasion.
United Irishman, Robert Emmett's attempted uprising in Dublin. Planned to coincide with Napoleon's expected invasion, it aimed to overthrow the English administration but ended in failure. Emmett is hanged along with several other conspirators.
- WebQuest: Pepys, Nelson, Seacole
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - Emma Hamilton <> William Hamilton
- Only Connect - Emma Hamilton <> Richard Cosway
- Only Connect - William Hamilton <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - William Hamilton <> Joseph Haydn
- Only Connect - William Hamilton <> Horatio Nelson
- Only Connect - Emma Hamilton <> Horatio Nelson
- Only Connect - Emma Hamilton <> Joseph Haydn
- Only Connect - installation video
- George Romney
- Collected Archives - N-S
- Artist - Romney
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer