Hon. William Windham
2 of 3 portraits by John Alais
Hon. William Windham
by John Alais, published by William Cribb, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
stipple engraving, published 27 June 1816 (1803)
12 1/4 in. x 10 1/4 in. (310 mm x 260 mm) plate size; 12 5/8 in. x 10 5/8 in. (320 mm x 269 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Sitterback to top
- Hon. William Windham (1750-1810), Politician; Secretary at War. Sitter associated with 52 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- John Alais (born circa 1775), Engraver. Artist associated with 3 portraits.
- William Cribb (circa 1789-1870), Carver and gilder; picture dealer; print dealer and publisher. Artist associated with 29 portraits.
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 689 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
Events of 1816back to top
Current affairsMarriage of Princess Charlotte to Leopold I.
Income Tax abolished.
Unsuccessful Spa Fields Riot led by the ultra-radical Arthur Thistlewood which aimed to attack the Tower of London and the Bank of England and set up a ruling 'Committee of Public Safety' following the French model.
Art and scienceJane Austen publishes Emma.
Leeds and Liverpool Canal completed.
InternationalBritish Government buys the Elgin Marbles, taken from the Acropolis in Athens by Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin, and brought to England between 1803 and 1812. Their acquisition prompts support from Thomas Lawrence and Benjamin Robert Haydon and condemnation from Lord Byron.
Slave rebellion fails in Barbados; four hundred slaves are executed.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2. Lawrence at work
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Regency familiar faces
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints