1 of 6 portraits by Joseph Johnson
by James Heath, published by Joseph Johnson, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
stipple engraving, published 10 March 1790 (1784)
7. 3/8 in. x 4 1/4 in. (188 mm x 108 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Artistsback to top
- James Heath (1757-1834), Engraver. Artist associated with 79 portraits, Sitter associated with 8 portraits.
- Joseph Johnson (1738-1809), Bookseller and publisher. Artist associated with 6 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1415 portraits, Sitter associated with 39 portraits.
Events of 1790back to top
Current affairsAttempts to modify the Test and Corporation Acts are defeated, despite campaigning by dissenters such as the prominent Unitarian preacher and pamphleteer, Richard Price. The Acts prevented those outside the established church from holding government or military office.
Art and scienceJoseph Mallord William Turner exhibits his first painting at the Royal Academy; a watercolour of The Archbishop's Palace, Lambeth.
The Firth to Clyde and Oxford to Birmingham canals are begun.
InternationalEdmund Burke publishes Reflections on the Revolution in France. A landmark work of opposition to the Revolution which offered a critique of the radical philosophy behind events in France; the Reflections have been read as an articulation of the foundations of modern British conservatism. George Vancouver explores the north west coast of America.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.