David Hockney; Lucian Freud
David Hockney; Lucian Freud
by David Dawson
C-type colour print, 2002
10 3/8 in. x 15 1/2 in. (263 mm x 393 mm)
Given by John Morton Morris, 2003
Sittersback to top
Artistback to top
- David Dawson (1960-), Artist; painter and photographer. Artist or producer of 26 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Gayford, Martin (introduction) Hockney, David (appreciation), Lucian Freud: Painting People, 2012 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 9 February to 28 May 2012), p. 16
- Howgate, Sarah (introduction) Auping, Michael (appreciation) Richardson, John (appreciation), Lucian Freud: Portraits, 2012 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 9 February to 28 May 2012), p. 15
- Howgate, Sarah; Stern Shapiro, Barbara; Glazebrook; Mark; White, Edmund; Livingstone, Marco, David Hockney Portraits, 2006 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 12 October 2006 to 21 January 2007), p. 247
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Lucian Freud in the Studio (30 March 2004 - 1 August 2004)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 2002back to top
Current affairs2002 was an eventful year for the Royal Family, highlighted by the Queen's Golden Jubilee celebrations, but marred by the death of Princess Margaret, followed just three months later by the death of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother at the age of 101 (making her the longest lived royal in British History).
Art and scienceThe relationship between two of the greatest modern masters is celebrated in Tate Modern's blockbuster exhibition Matisse Picasso. By exhibiting their works side-by-side, the show revealed the relationship between the two artists from 1906-54.
The 'Party at the Palace' concert in celebration of the Queen's Jubilee brings together stars from the last 50 years of Pop: Paul McCartney, Tom Jones, Brian Wilson, Queen, Ozzy Osbourne and Elton John.
InternationalTerrorist bombing attacks on the Island of Bali in Indonesia leave 202 people dead, including 25 Britons. The three attacks took place in a bar, outside a nightclub and outside the United States consulate, and were aimed at foreign tourists, although many locals were also killed or injured. The Islamist group Jemaah Islamiyah were found guilty of perpetrating the attacks.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
- Artists and sitters
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron
- Lucian Freud in the Studio
- NPG 5199 in 360°
- David Hockney Portraits
- Twentieth Century Printmakers
- Five Double Portraits: New work by David Hockney
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Icons and Idols: Commissioning Contemporary Portraits
- Portrait of an Artist
- Private View
- Photographs 1965-2006
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.