The Coronation Procession
3081 of 3114 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Jewellery - Crowns and tiaras'
- 'Image on website'
The Coronation Procession
by Cecil Beaton
16 7/8 in. x 12 1/8 in. (430 mm x 307 mm) paper size
Accepted in lieu of tax by H.M. Government and allocated to the Gallery, 1991
Sittersback to top
- Alan Francis Brooke, 1st Viscount Alanbrooke (1883-1963), Field Marshal. Sitter in 32 portraits. Identify
- Bernard Marmaduke Fitzalan-Howard, 16th Duke of Norfolk (1908-1975), Earl Marshal and Hereditary Marshal of England. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
- Gavin Turnbull Simonds, Viscount Simonds (1881-1971), Lord Chancellor. Sitter in 8 portraits. Identify
Artistback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Artist associated with 1111 portraits, Sitter associated with 361 portraits.
Events of 1953back to top
Current affairsA combination of low pressure in the North Sea, hurricane force winds, and high tides result in the Great Flood of 1953. With no warning system many were trapped in their homes as 20-foot waves crashed on the coast; hundreds were killed at sea and on the east coast.
John Hunt's British Expedition conquers Everest. News of the achievement reached Britain on the day of Elizabeth's coronation.
Art and scienceFrances Crick and James Watson discover the double helix structure of DNA. Uncovering DNA's chemical make-up revolutionised our understanding of the building blocks of life.
Ian Fleming publishes his first James Bond novel, Casino Royal.
Chad Varah founds 'The Samaritans' helpline.
InternationalJoseph Stalin dies four days after suffering a stroke. It has been suggested that Stalin was assassinated, as he was denied medical assistance for over a day after he was found; many suspect that he was poisoned. On his death Georgy Malenkov became leader of the Soviet Union.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
- Cecil Beaton Drawings
- Learn more
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Britain 1960-1990
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- The World's Most Photographed
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.