18 of 30 portraits of Alphonse Legros
by George Frederic Watts
etching, circa 1879
5 1/8 in. x 3 7/8 in. (131 mm x 99 mm) plate size; 8 1/8 in. x 5 3/8 in. (206 mm x 137 mm) paper size
Sitterback to top
- Alphonse Legros (1837-1911), Painter, sculptor and etcher. Sitter in 30 portraits, Artist associated with 10 portraits.
Artistback to top
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor. Artist associated with 91 portraits, Sitter in 43 portraits.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Circles of Influence: G.F. Watts, Alphonse Legros and the Slade (7 September 2010 - 8 May 2011)
Events of 1879back to top
Current affairsWomen's education continues to grow, with the founding of women's colleges in Oxford. Somerville College took its name from the late Scottish scientific writer Mary Somerville. Lady Margaret Hall was founded by Elizabeth Wordsworth, great niece of the poet, and named after Margaret Beaufort, a medieval noblewoman and mother of Henry VII.
Art and scienceEdison invents the first practical electric light bulb.
The first prehistoric paintings, dating back 14,000 years, are discovered in the Altamira caves in Northern Spain when a young girl notices paintings of bison on the ceilings.
The French actress Sarah Bernhardt, already acclaimed for roles in plays such as Racine's Phèdre and Victor Hugo's Hernani, celebrates a successful season at London's Gaiety Theatre.
InternationalAnglo-Zulu war fought between British forces and the Zulus, after disputes between the Boers and Zulu leader Cetshywayo over the Utrecht border attracted British intervention. The British victory marked the end of the independent Zulu nation, although the Zulu's initial victory at Isandhlwana was a major surprise. The Battle of Rorke's Drift was dramatised in the film Zulu, starring Michael Caine, in 1964.
See this portrait
On display at Tate Britain, London
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- G.F. Watts Portraits: Fame & Beauty in Victorian Society
- Collected Archives - T-Z
- The Watts Collection
- Watts handlist
- Room 26: Portraits by G.F. Watts
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Room 26: G.F. Watts Bicentenary
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Julia Margaret Cameron:
'Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens'
- Portrait of the Day: Julie Margaret Cameron
15 December, 12:30
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer