by Samuel William Reynolds, published by Hodgson & Graves, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
mezzotint, published 1836 (1760)
9 1/4 in. x 6 5/8 in. (234 mm x 169 mm) plate size; 9 7/8 in. x 7 1/4 in. (252 mm x 185 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Sitterback to top
- Laurence Sterne (1713-1768), Writer and divine; author of 'Tristram Shandy'. Sitter in 16 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Hodgson & Graves (active 1836-1840), Publisher. Artist associated with 52 portraits.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1413 portraits, Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
- Samuel William Reynolds (1773-1835), Mezzotint engraver and painter. Artist associated with 628 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Events of 1836back to top
Current affairsWilliam Lovett founds the Working Men's Association, the precursor to Chartism, with the aim to achieving equal social and political rights between men of all classes.
A reduction in stamp duty from 4d to 1d helps to keep unstamped newspapers off the street, and leads to wider circulation of legal newspapers.
The first railway line is built in London, connecting to Greenwich and operated by the London Greenwich Railway (LGR).
Art and scienceThe American poet and writer Ralph Waldo Emerson outlines his theory of transcendentalism in Nature, in which he argues for individualism above traditional authority, stressing the infinitude of the private self and the possibility of achieving an original relation to the universe.
The German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer publishes On the Will in Nature, a precursor to his famous The World as Will and Representation.
InternationalTexas declares its independence from Mexico following a series of battles, including those at the Alamo and Goliad. Sam Houston is the first president of Texas, serving both in 1836-38 and 1841-44.
The city of Adelaide is founded in Australia, at the mouth of the Torrens river, named in honour of Queen Adelaide, consort of William IV.
- Portrait of the Day: Joshua Reynolds
29 September, 12:30