by Francesco Bartolozzi, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
7 1/4 in. x 5 7/8 in. (185 mm x 148 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Sitterback to top
- Charles Burney (1726-1814), Musician and historian of music. Sitter in 10 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1781back to top
Current affairsAmerican painter John Singleton Copley, now resident in London, completes his celebrated painting The Death of the Earl of Chatham, depicting the collapse of William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham on 7 April 1778, during a debate in the House of Lords on the American War of Independence.
William Pitt the Younger, later Prime Minister, enters Parliament.
Art and scienceAstronomer William Herschel discovers Uranus, the first planet to be found by means of a telescope, and names it Georgium Sidus (George's Star) in honour of George III.
Artist and theatre designer Philip James De Loutherbourg presents his innovative miniature mechanical theatre, the Eidophusikon, at his house in Soho, London.
InternationalAmerican War of Independence: British general Charles Cornwallis is forced to surrender at Yorktown. Maryland ratifies the Articles of Confederation - the last state to do so - completing 'the Confederation of the United States'.
Zong Massacre: 133 Africans are thrown overboard the slave ship Zong on the orders of a British slave-trader who then attempts to reclaim their value from insurers. The case becomes a landmark in the fight for abolition.
- Late Eighteenth Century Prints and Drawings
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- 2018 Anniversaries
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - Charles Burney <> Fanny Burney
- Only Connect - Charles Burney <> Sir William Hamilton
- Only Connect - Charles Burney <> Wolfgang Mozart
- Only Connect - installation video
- Self-Portrait: Renaissance to Contemporary
- Brilliant Women
- 2017 Anniversaries
- Dr Samuel Johnson
- 2020 Anniversaries