5 of 9 portraits of Angelica Kauffmann
by Francesco Bartolozzi, published by John Boydell, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
stipple engraving, published 3 September 1780 (circa 1777-1778)
11 7/8 in. x 9 3/4 in. (303 mm x 249 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Sitterback to top
- Angelica Kauffmann (1741-1807), Painter. Sitter in 9 portraits, Artist associated with 22 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Francesco Bartolozzi (1727-1815), Engraver. Artist associated with 164 portraits, Sitter in 16 portraits.
- John Boydell (1720-1804), Engraver and printseller. Artist associated with 128 portraits, Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1415 portraits, Sitter associated with 39 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Events of 1780back to top
Current affairsAnti-Catholic mob led by Lord George Gordon marches on Parliament to protest against the Catholic Relief Act, leading to the outbreak of the Gordon Riots in London. Six days of rioting are ended by the intervention of troops, with 285 people shot dead.
Dunning's Motion in Parliament attacks the influence of the crown, suggesting that it has increased and ought to be diminished.
Art and scienceRoyal Academy moves to Somerset House on The Strand, London.
Mrs E. Johnson's British Gazette and Sunday Monitor, the first Sunday newspaper in Britain, begins publication.
Potter Josiah Wedgwood invents the pyrometer; a device used for measuring high temperatures.
InternationalAmerican War of Independence: British troops under Charles Cornwallis defeat American army under Horatio Gates at Camden, South Carolina. The capture of British army officer and spy John André yields proof that US general Benedict Arnold is in the pay of the British. André is executed in as a spy.
Second Anglo-Mysore War in India between Hyder Ali and the East India Company.
Bolshoi Theatre of opera and ballet is founded in Moscow.
- Weekend Workshop: Gainsborough vs. Reynolds
From 22 February, 11:00