by Cecil Beaton
bromide print on white card mount, 1940s
9 1/2 in. x 6 3/4 in. (242 mm x 170 mm)
Given by Cecil Beaton, 1962
Sitterback to top
- Penelope (née Dudley-Ward, later Pelissier), Lady Reed (1914-1982), Stage and film actress; former wife of Anthony Compton Pelissier, and later second wife of Sir Carol Reed; daughter of William Dudley Ward. Sitter in 8 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Artist associated with 1111 portraits, Sitter associated with 361 portraits.
Events of 1940back to top
Current affairsFollowing the German invasion of the Netherlands, Belgium and France, Neville Chamberlain resigns and Churchill is appointed Prime Minister making the famous speech: 'I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat.'
The Battle of Britain ends the Phoney War with Germany's attack on the nation from the air. Britain's cities, airbases and ports are bombed during the Blitz.
Art and scienceWith little access to sculpture materials, and a bombed out studio Henry Moore starts experimenting with drawings of war subjects. After taking shelter in a London Underground station during an air raid Moore was inspired to begin a series of Shelter Drawings. With a commission from the War Artists Advisory Committee, headed by Kenneth Clark, these became some of the most popular example of official war art.
InternationalBritain's attempt to defend France against German invasion by landing troops on the French coast ends in failure; France surrenders and Britain is left to face the Axis Powers alone. While the Dunkirk Landings were a failure, the heroic rescue of troops by a fleet of English civilian boats was a victory for morale, and the 'Dunkirk Spirit' came to stand as an emblem of British triumph in adversity.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Cecil Beaton Drawings
- Learn more
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Britain 1960-1990
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- The World's Most Photographed
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.