by John Hall, published by William Strahan, and published by Thomas Cadell the Elder, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
line engraving, published 1 February 1780 (1779)
10 5/8 in. x 8 1/2 in. (269 mm x 217 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Sitterback to top
- Edward Gibbon (1737-1794), Historian; author of 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire'. Sitter in 14 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Thomas Cadell the Elder (1742-1802), Publisher and bookseller. Artist associated with 20 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
- John Hall (1739-1797), Engraver. Artist associated with 37 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1415 portraits, Sitter associated with 39 portraits.
- William Strahan (1715-1785), Printer and publisher. Artist associated with 3 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Events of 1780back to top
Current affairsAnti-Catholic mob led by Lord George Gordon marches on Parliament to protest against the Catholic Relief Act, leading to the outbreak of the Gordon Riots in London. Six days of rioting are ended by the intervention of troops, with 285 people shot dead.
Dunning's Motion in Parliament attacks the influence of the crown, suggesting that it has increased and ought to be diminished.
Art and scienceRoyal Academy moves to Somerset House on The Strand, London.
Mrs E. Johnson's British Gazette and Sunday Monitor, the first Sunday newspaper in Britain, begins publication.
Potter Josiah Wedgwood invents the pyrometer; a device used for measuring high temperatures.
InternationalAmerican War of Independence: British troops under Charles Cornwallis defeat American army under Horatio Gates at Camden, South Carolina. The capture of British army officer and spy John André yields proof that US general Benedict Arnold is in the pay of the British. André is executed in as a spy.
Second Anglo-Mysore War in India between Hyder Ali and the East India Company.
Bolshoi Theatre of opera and ballet is founded in Moscow.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints