by Francesco Bartolozzi, published by S. Watts, after Richard Cosway
stipple engraving, published 4 June 1783
8 in. x 6 in. (203 mm x 151 mm) plate size; 13 1/8 in. x 10 3/8 in. (333 mm x 263 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Artistsback to top
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (3 Featherstone Buildings, Holborn, London)
Events of 1783back to top
Current affairsWilliam Petty, 2nd Earl of Shelburne resigns as Prime Minister over the proposed peace terms with the United States. Frederick North, 2nd Earl of Guilford briefly forms a government with Charles James Fox in April but is succeeded by a government under William Pitt the Younger who, at the age of 24 becomes the youngest British Prime Minister ever to take office.
The highwayman John Austin is the last person to be publicly executed at Tyburn.
Art and sciencePhysician and natural philosopher Erasmus Darwin begins publication of A System of Vegetables, a translation from Latin of the work of Swedish botanist Carolus Linnaeus in which he coins many common English names of plants.
InternationalDefeat of Charles James Fox's India Bill in the House of Lords which aimed to assist ailing British East India Company.
American War of Independence: Treaty of Paris is signed by Britain, France, Spain and the United States, under which the British government recognises US independence. Britain begins to evacuate loyalists and the last British troops leave New York City three months later.
- Late Eighteenth Century Prints and Drawings
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- 2018 Anniversaries
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Emma Hamilton
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Maria Cosway
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Ludwig Van Beethoven
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Thomas Jefferson
- Only Connect - Richard Cosway <> Horatio Nelson
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints