by Cecil Beaton
bromide print, 1972
14 in. x 14 in. in. (357 mm x 357 mm)
Accepted in lieu of tax by H.M. Government and allocated to the Gallery, 1991
Artistback to top
- Cecil Beaton (1904-1980), Photographer, designer and writer. Artist associated with 1103 portraits, Sitter associated with 358 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Gloucestershire (on the set of 'Zinotchka', Dodington Park, Gloucestershire)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1972back to top
Current affairsBritain joins the European Community. After two attempts both vetoed by President Charles De Gaulle of France, Britain is finally accepted into the EC under the pro-European leadership of Edward Heath.
British soldiers shoot 14 unarmed protesters in the Bloody Sunday massacre. The men were part of a march through Londonderry, protesting about the policy of internment without trial.
Art and scienceDavid Bowie releases The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars; a classic glam-rock concept album with the themes of space aliens, gender ambiguity and rock 'n' roll superstardom.
InternationalThe arrest of five men who were caught trying to bug the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee marks the beginning of the 'Watergate Scandal'. The scandal centred on attempts to spy on the Democratic opposition in order to help President Nixon's re-election, and finally led to Nixon's resignation two years later.
Black September Palestinian terrorists murder 11 Israeli athletes at the Olympic Games in Munich.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Cecil Beaton Drawings
- Learn more
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Women Poets and Photography, 1860–1970
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Britain 1960-1990
- The Royal Ballet at 75
- The World's Most Photographed
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
- Blow Up: Sixties Photography Exposed
- Helmut Newton: Portraits