'The Eden family'
6 of 9 portraits of Sir Timothy Calvert Eden, 8th Bt
'The Eden family'
by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate film negative, 1 January 1936
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42739 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- John Benedict Eden, Baron Eden of Winton (1925-2020), Politician; MP for Bournemouth; Minister for Industry; Minister for Posts and Telecommunications. Sitter in 19 portraits. Identify
- Amelia Mary Eden (1933-), Former wife of Giovanni Borrelli; daughter of Sir Timothy Calvert Eden, 8th Bt. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Edith Mary Patricia (née Prendergast), Lady Eden (died 1990), Wife of Sir Timothy Calvert Eden, 8th Bt; daughter of Arthur Prendergast. Sitter in 14 portraits. Identify
- Sir Timothy Calvert Eden, 8th Bt (1893-1963), Lieutenant and author. Sitter in 9 portraits. Identify
- (Meriall) Rose Murray (née Eden) (1927-), Wife of James Dalton Murray; daughter of Sir Timothy Calvert Eden, 8th Bt. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
- Ann Caroline Negretti (née Eden) (1923-2017), Wife of Peter Noel Negretti; daughter of Sir Timothy Calvert Eden, 8th Bt. Sitter in 6 portraits. Identify
Events of 1936back to top
Current affairsFollowing the death of his father George V, Edward succeeds to the throne as King Edward VIII, but chooses to abdicate in order to marry the American divorcee, Wallis Simpson. Edward was the only monarch every to voluntarily relinquish the throne.
Art and scienceThe Spitfire, designed by Reginald Mitchell, has its maiden flight. The RAF and other allied forces used the plane extensively and to great effect during the Second World War.
Television broadcasting begins. Although the BBC had been transmitting television since 1930, regular service did not begin until 1936, when the 'BBC Television Service' (now BBC One) was broadcast from Alexandra Palace.
InternationalThe Spanish Civil War begins. Nationalists, led by General Francisco Franco, and supported by Italian and German fascist governments, rebelled against the Second Spanish Republic. The conflict lasted until 1939, and anticipated many of the features of the Second World War: fighting between Communists and Fascists, the rise of nationalism and the use of terror tactics against civilians.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856
- LGBTQ+ History Month
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.