The Courtenay family
3 of 4 portraits of Lady Evelyn Frances Anstey (née Courtenay)
The Courtenay family
by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate film negative, 27 July 1936
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Lady Evelyn Frances Anstey (née Courtenay) (1908-1985), Wife of Thomas Anstey; daughter of 16th Earl of Devon. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Lady Camilla Gabrielle Courtenay (1913-2010), Daughter of 16th Earl of Devon. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Lady Mary Elizabeth Courtenay (1910-2000), Nurse; daughter of 16th Earl of Devon. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Marguerite Courtenay (née Silva), Countess of Devon (died 1950), Wife of 16th Earl of Devon; daughter of John Silva. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Charles Christopher Courtenay, 17th Earl of Devon (1916-1998), Landowner. Sitter in 4 portraits.
Events of 1936back to top
Current affairsFollowing the death of his father George V, Edward succeeds to the throne as King Edward VIII, but chooses to abdicate in order to marry the American divorcee, Wallis Simpson. Edward was the only monarch every to voluntarily relinquish the throne.
Art and scienceThe Spitfire, designed by Reginald Mitchell, has its maiden flight. The RAF and other allied forces used the plane extensively and to great effect during the Second World War.
Television broadcasting begins. Although the BBC had been transmitting television since 1930, regular service did not begin until 1936, when the 'BBC Television Service' (now BBC One) was broadcast from Alexandra Palace.
InternationalThe Spanish Civil War begins. Nationalists, led by General Francisco Franco, and supported by Italian and German fascist governments, rebelled against the Second Spanish Republic. The conflict lasted until 1939, and anticipated many of the features of the Second World War: fighting between Communists and Fascists, the rise of nationalism and the use of terror tactics against civilians.
- Lecture: The art of struggle: Sylvia Pankhurst and how art helped women get the vote
8 February 2018, 19:00
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer