The Scott family
6 of 7 portraits of Elizabeth Joyce (née Glanley), Lady Scott
© National Portrait Gallery, London
The Scott family
by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate film negative, 3 June 1937
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Sittersback to top
- Diana Jean Fraser-Mackenzie (née Scott) (1934-), Wife of John Fraser-Mackenzie; daughter of Sir Douglas Winchester Scott, 2nd Bt. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Anthony Percy Scott (1937-), Barrister. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Sir Douglas Winchester Scott, 2nd Bt (1907-1984), Lieutenant-Colonel. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Elizabeth Joyce (née Glanley), Lady Scott (died 1983), Wife of Sir Douglas Winchester Scott, 2nd Bt; daughter of Archibald Lloyd Glanley. Sitter in 7 portraits. Identify
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist or producer associated with 42746 portraits.
Events of 1937back to top
Current affairsGeorge VI becomes king. The younger brother of Edward VIII was crowned on the 12th May and the coronation was broadcast to Britain and the Empire on the radio. Edward becomes the Duke of Windsor, although the rank of 'Royal Highness' is not extended to Wallis Simpson.
Neville Chamberlain becomes Prime Minister following Baldwin's retirement.
Art and scienceRoland Penrose organises a tour of Picasso's painting Guernica to the UK. The painting, which shows the horrors of the Spanish Civil War, went on display at the Whitechapel Art Gallery in East London
InternationalCommercial airship travel is brought to an end with the 'Hindenberg Disaster'. The German airship exploded while landing in New Jersey. The radio broadcaster Herbert Morrison's reaction has become legendary: 'Oh, the humanity!'
Japan invades China, killing about 25,000. Japanese Troops committed numerous atrocities against soldiers and civilians in what became known as the 'Rape of Nanking'.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856
- LGBTQ+ History Month
- Spotlight: Queen Elizabeth II
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.