The Thomson family
2 of 4 portraits of John Adam Thomson
The Thomson family
by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate film negative, 15 November 1937
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Sittersback to top
- David Paget Thomson (1931-), Businessman; son of Sir George Paget Thomson. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Sir George Paget Thomson (1892-1975), Physicist. Sitter in 25 portraits. Identify
- John Adam Thomson (1927-), Diplomat. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Kathleen Buchanan Thomson (née Smith) (1900-1941), Wife of Sir George Paget Thomson; daughter of Sir George Adam Smith. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Lilian Clare de Villiers Graaff (née Thomson), Daughter of Sir George Paget Thomson; wife of Jan de Villiers Graaff. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42739 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1937back to top
Current affairsGeorge VI becomes king. The younger brother of Edward VIII was crowned on the 12th May and the coronation was broadcast to Britain and the Empire on the radio. Edward becomes the Duke of Windsor, although the rank of 'Royal Highness' is not extended to Wallis Simpson.
Neville Chamberlain becomes Prime Minister following Baldwin's retirement.
Art and scienceRoland Penrose organises a tour of Picasso's painting Guernica to the UK. The painting, which shows the horrors of the Spanish Civil War, went on display at the Whitechapel Art Gallery in East London
InternationalCommercial airship travel is brought to an end with the 'Hindenberg Disaster'. The German airship exploded while landing in New Jersey. The radio broadcaster Herbert Morrison's reaction has become legendary: 'Oh, the humanity!'
Japan invades China, killing about 25,000. Japanese Troops committed numerous atrocities against soldiers and civilians in what became known as the 'Rape of Nanking'.
Visit From Your Armchair
Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize
An online exhibition celebrating the very best in contemporary portrait photography.
Explore our community photography project, which presents a personal record of the UK during lockdown.
Sculptures in 360°
See sculptures and fascinating objects from our Collection from all angles.
David Hockney: Drawing from Life
Watch highlights from our special exhibition, which had to close early in March 2020 due to lockdown.
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856
- LGBTQ+ History Month
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.