Lady Arabella Stuart
4 of 4 portraits of Lady Arabella Stuart
Lady Arabella Stuart
by William Holl Sr, published by Lackington, Hughes, Harding, Mavor & Jones, published by Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme & Brown, after William Hilton, after Paul van Somer
stipple engraving, published 1 February 1818
14 7/8 in. x 10 1/2 in. (379 mm x 266 mm) plate size; 16 in. x 12 in. (405 mm x 287 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Sitterback to top
- Lady Arabella Stuart (1575-1615), Cousin of James I. Sitter associated with 6 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- William Hilton (1786-1839), History painter. Artist associated with 61 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- William Holl Sr (1771-1838), Engraver. Artist associated with 127 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Lackington, Hughes, Harding, Mavor & Jones (active 1818-1820), Publishers. Artist associated with 48 portraits.
- Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme & Brown (active 1815-1820), Publishers. Artist associated with 98 portraits.
- Paul van Somer (circa 1576-1621), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 36 portraits.
Events of 1818back to top
Current affairsDeath of Charlotte Sophia of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, George III's Queen since 1761.
Official enquiry initiated into Queen Caroline's conduct abroad.
Art and scienceMary Shelley anonymously publishes her masterpiece Frankenstein; or, the Modern Prometheus which reflects growing concern about the role of morality in science.
Lord Byron completes his romance Childe Harolde's Pilgrimage, whose gloomy, dissolute hero was probably based on the writer himself.
InternationalStamford Raffles acquires authorisation to construct a fort at Singapore marking the beginning of its development as a centre of East-West trade.
Congress of European Alliance at Aix-La-Chapelle. Lord Castlereagh plays a central role in establishing a pan-Europe peace settlement to bring a chastened France back into the world of political respectability.
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.