The Vesey family
The Vesey family
by Bassano Ltd
whole-plate glass negative, 6 November 1924
Given by Bassano & Vandyk Studios, 1974
Sittersback to top
- Bridget Georgiana (née Vesey), Lady Airey (1915-2005), Wife of Sir Terence Sydney Airey; daughter of Hon. Thomas Eustace Vesey. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Margaret Constance Quinton (née Vesey) (1912-1994), Wife of Herbert Quinton; daughter of Hon. Thomas Eustace Vesey. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
- Lady Cecily Kathleen Vesey (née Browne) (1888-1976), Woman of the Bedchamber to Queen Mary; wife of Hon. Thomas Vesey; daughter of 5th Earl of Kenmare. Sitter in 2 portraits. Identify
- John Eustace Vesey (1919-1983), Lieutenant. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
Artistback to top
- Bassano Ltd (active 1901-1962), Photographers. Artist associated with 42739 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 38 Dover Street, London)
Events of 1924back to top
Current affairsAfter narrowly winning the general election the previous year, Stanley Baldwin calls a vote of confidence at the opening of the new session of Parliament and is defeated. George V invited James Ramsay Macdonald to form a minority Labour government, making him the first Labour Prime Minister.
Art and scienceEric Liddell wins the gold medal at the Olympic games, breaking the record for running the 400 metres in 47.6 seconds. The distance was not in fact his strongest event, but he refused to run the 100 metres because the heats were held on the Sabbath. His story is told in the 1981 film Chariots of Fire.
InternationalAfter three strokes and several years of illness Lenin dies. Three days later the city of Petrograd is renamed Leningrad in his honour. On coming to power Stalin began the policy of 'socialism in one country' abandoning the traditional hope for international proletarian revolution in order to strengthen Russia internally and independently.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Margery Allingham
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Before Windrush: Images of Black and Asian Figures
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Keep The Home Fires Burning
- Centenaries and Centenarians
- Photographically Illustrated Periodicals
- Bassano Studio Portrait Collection
- Classical Music and the First World War
- Athletes and Olympians
- Centenary of flight
- Born in 1856
- LGBTQ+ History Month
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.