by Samuel Freeman, published by Vernor, Hood & Sharpe, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
stipple engraving, published 1 June 1807
7 1/8 in. x 4 1/2 in. (180 mm x 115 mm) plate size; 7 1/2 in. x 4 3/4 in. (189 mm x 121 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Sitterback to top
- David Garrick (1717-1779), Actor, playwright and theatre manager. Sitter associated with 56 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Samuel Freeman (1773-1857), Engraver. Artist associated with 80 portraits.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1415 portraits, Sitter associated with 39 portraits.
- Vernor, Hood & Sharpe (active 1806-1812), Publishers. Artist associated with 30 portraits.
Events of 1807back to top
Current affairsAct is passed abolishing the British slave trade after vigorous campaigning by hundreds of thousands of people led by Thomas Clarkson and championed in parliament by reformer William Wilberforce.
Resignation of 'Ministry of all the Talents'. Whig politician William Henry Cavendish Bentinck, Duke of Portland, succeeds as Prime Minister.
Art and scienceThomas Hope publishes Household Furniture and Interior Decoration; influential in promoting Greek and especially Egyptian models as the epitome of fashionable style.
InternationalFrench invasion of Spain and Portugal.
Britain occupies Copenhagen and captures the Danish fleet.
Napoleon begins to wage an economic battle against Britain, recognising the impossibility of victory at sea because of Britain's superior naval power. He aims to close the entire European coastline to British trade.
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Late Eighteenth Century Prints and Drawings
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - David Garrick <> Karl Abel
- Only Connect - installation video
- The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons
- 2017 Anniversaries
- Self-Portrait: Renaissance to Contemporary
- Brilliant Women
- 2018 Anniversaries
- Dr Samuel Johnson
- 2020 Anniversaries
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints