8 of 44 portraits by James Posselwhite
by James Posselwhite, published by Charles Knight, after George Frederic Watts
stipple and line engraving, published circa 1833
11 1/2 in. x 8 in. (292 mm x 202 mm) plate size; 11 7/8 in. x 8 3/8 in. (303 mm x 212 mm) paper size
Bequeathed by (Frederick) Leverton Harris, 1927
Artistsback to top
- Charles Knight (1791-1873), Writer and publisher. Artist associated with 9 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
- James Posselwhite (1798-1884), Engraver. Artist associated with 44 portraits.
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor; Trustee of the National Portrait Gallery. Artist associated with 92 portraits, Sitter in 43 portraits.
Events of 1833back to top
Current affairsShaftesbury's Factory Act is passed regulating women's hours and providing for the education of children working in the textile industry.
Bank Act is passed, making Bank of England notes Britain's legal tender.
Art and scienceCharles Lamb publishes Last Essays of Elia after the enormous success of his earlier Essays. A comic allegorization of his humdrum clerical job they become one of the period's literary sensations.
Charles Dickens begins his series Sketches by Boz in the Monthly Magazine.
InternationalAbolition of slavery in the British Empire; 780,000 slaves are freed, £20 million is allocated as compensation for slave owners and a six year apprenticeship system for freed slaves is established.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- The Watts Collection
- 2017 Anniversaries
- Room 26: Portraits by G.F. Watts
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect
- Room 25: Women, politics and domestic life in Victorian Britain
- Rebel women
- Room 26: G.F. Watts Bicentenary
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Julia Margaret Cameron: 'Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens'
- Chartist Portraits
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.